Transforming Laser Technology
We offer the perfect synergy of experience, automation technology, and scale to advance factory automation and laser integrated solutions for the world’s leading manufacturers.
Micromachining Division supplies full turnkey laser micromachining systems for laser drilling, cutting, marking, patterning, milling, and ablation. A variety of configurations are offered which can incorporate DPSS nanosecond, picosecond, or femtosecond lasers operating in the IR, visible, and UV to give controlled ablation of a wide range of materials. Lasers standard systems range from tabletop general machining advanced research and development to high commercial production solutions.
Important value-added features of our system integration include:
- Onsite installation, commissioning, and training
- Drop in the power consumption Technical consulting
- On-going technical after-sale and applications support
- Few microns of waste material
LPS Series of laser system for reliable Laser Machining
A typical example of laser system integration is the LPS Series, easy to use and compact to conserve valuable floor space. Typical applications include silicon wafer coring/resizing solar cell micromachining, and cutting/drilling/grooving thin metals and ceramics for all sorts of applications including medical.
Important features of the LPS-300 system
1. Through-the-Lens Viewing:
The LPS-300 features video viewing for a magnified image of work in progress. A video camera looks through the laser focusing lens – a similar principle to an SLR camera or a rifle scope. It simplifies and speeds up the alignment of each part, facilitates high yields, and targets laser impact. But most important – it provides both sharp visual human focus and sharp laser beam focus which otherwise would be at different places because of chromatic aberration. Magnification is 60X, twenty times more powerful than opera glasses.
2. Our standard design is 3-axis which increases the versatility of the laser machine. Parts having different thicknesses can be rapidly inserted into the machine.
3. Computer Controlled Focal Point
A method of rapid and reliable control of laser spot size is by the computer driving the motorized beam expanding telescope. This works by placing the laser focus quickly at desired distances above and below the top surface of the part, which does not change the operator’s visual plane of focus so the part remains in sharp focus to the human eye.
Laserod system components & options - OVERVIEW(statement of capabilities)
We integrate lasers, motion devices, computer hardware, power distribution drawer or box, software, and optics into a fully functional laser machining tool. It goes without saying that “Know How” is our stock in trade.
We suggest you have us prototype first as a proof of principle, then run lots to prove our performance, throughput, and quality.
Laser Engines Supplied:
- fiber (solid-state)
- lamp (solid-state)
- sealed CO2 (gas)
- excimers (gas)
- Picosecond (ps) (solid-state)
Laser Wavelengths: UV to IR, ranging from 0.355 to 10.6 microns
Beam Directing and Shaping Optics:
- Galvanometer (galvo) or fixed beam or gantry O\overhead moving beam
- On-axis, in-line viewing is standard with fixed beam optics
- Off-axis viewing as galvo option
- Air bearing Z-follower for 3D random terrain following as option to fixed beam optics
- Dual beam-split beam optics as option to fixed beam optics
- Galvo to move beam, 2- or 3-axis
- X-Y stage to move part
- X-Y-Z stage, X-Y for part, Z for beam
- Combination galvo and X-Y, a 4- or 5-axis motion system
- As X-Y stage options, crossed roller bearing, air-bearing, linear optical encoders, crossed roller bearings with linear motors, and air-bearings with linear motors and optical encoders
- Rotary parts motion
- Roll-to-Roll web converters
Supporting frames of welded steel and light weight extruded aluminum. Mounting plates of anodized aluminum or granite
PC with software optimized for your application. CADCAM as option
- Robotics, machine vision, parts handling, automation controls for conveyor belt, parts loader, web, etc.
Note: We select components to optimize both application and budget.
List of Jobs Done by Solid-State Lasers:
- IR medium power diode: all thin metals, some rubber and some plastics – also thin
- Low power diode: IR, green or UV for display patterning, resistor trimming, marking, UV for 10um holes or patterns etched on coatings on glass or plastic substrates.
- IR high power fiber: robust parts that the high pressure air won’t blow away or damage such as silicon wafers, solar cells and ceramic substrate resizing at high speeds
- IR low power fiber: patterning thin coatings on glass or plastic substrates at high speed
Component Modules in a Typical Laser System:
Laser System with highlighted beam delivery optics:
The Laserod modular Work Station comprises laser + housing + optics (including motorized computer controlled telescope and Z) + XY table + PC + software + electronics cabinet + safety enclosure + options (fixtures, gas jet nozzle, vacuum exhaust, gas blanket, robotics, etc.)
- SOFTWARE – provides customized screen shot with G type code for your operator’s convenience and optional Picture to Part dxf download direct to the laser machine.
- Optics head for fixed laser beam delivery with video viewing — includes beam bender, focuser, safety cover, and focuser with optional gas jet nozzle. Magnified TV viewing standard.
- Optics head for galvo beam delivery — includes beam bender, focuser, safety cover, focuser with gas jet option. Off-axis or frozen mirror video viewing optional
- Beam expanding laser telescope – zoom expansion ratio 3X to 5X. Larger expansion ratios and motorized feature are available. Historically, we have always chosen the expansion ratio.
- Laser head housing to contain your laser “engine”, plus the telescope and optics head. Provides CDRH Class 1 light tight seal
- Gas jet nozzle — utilizes air pressure to assist laser cutting
- X-Y translating stage — move the part with fixed beam